This DIY Detangler Spray is so simple to make and works amazingly at getting stubborn tangles out of knotted hair! Made with nourishing and all-natural ingredients, this hair detangler is perfect for crazy toddler hair or your own hair for extra protection and shine!
I first set out to make an all-natural hair detangler spray because my daughter’s hair has this amazing ability to knot and tangle! She recently turned two and her hair is still growing out and is just SO fine. The slightest thing, like taking a nap, riding in the car in her carseat, going for a walk in a stroller, can create the biggest tangled mess in her super-fine hair.
I first tried to make a DIY detangler using Apple Cider Vinegar and essential oils. This worked okay, but I really disliked the smell it left lingering in her hair for the rest of the day. While it got the tangles out, I felt like it made her hair slightly crunchy in texture and it just wasn’t what I was hoping for. Perhaps that type of detangling spray works better for certain hair types, but I wasn’t completely satisfied.
So I looked in my cabinet full of all my DIY natural beauty supplies and decided to try out the Jojoba Oil and Vitamin E oil. Jojoba oil is great for moisturizing the skin and hair, and where we live it is super dry. Vitamin E oil is wonderful for promoting hair growth and shine.
Essential oils, like Ylang Ylang and Lavender, make this hair detangler spray smell amazing and add even more benefits to nourish you or your little one’s hair.
This DIY Hair Detangler Spray is so good at getting tangles out, smells so good and leaves the hair nourished and not greasy. In addition to getting tangles out, I also like to spray it into my damp hair before blow drying as it helps to tame those fly-aways and give my hair extra shine!
FAQ about DIY Detangler Spray:
Is kids detangler good for hair?
Kids detangler is great for hair when it has clean ingredients. A lot of traditional detangler sprays bought at the store contain harmful, toxic ingredients that could actually cause more harm than good. This DIY Detangler Spray has all-natural ingredients and is fragranced using high quality essential oils, so it is a great detangler for hair.
What is a good baby hair detangler spray?
This hair detangler spray is a great recipe for baby hair. Baby hair is so fine and their skin is so sensitive, so I would not use just any detangler spray. This spray is gentle enough to use on baby hair and the ingredients are natural and non-toxic.
How do you make kids detangler spray?
To make DIY detangler spray for kids, simply pour all of the ingredients – jojoba oil, vitamin E oil, filtered water and essential oils into a glass spray bottle. Using a funnel helps to get everything in without a lot of spills! Place the spray cap back onto the spray bottle and shake the liquid together to mix it up before each use.
How do you use kids detangler spray?
Shake the bottle before each use and then spray on damp or dry tangled hair. Use a comb or brush to comb out the tangles, always starting at the bottom of the hair and working up to the scalp until tangles are loosened.
Is detangler the same as conditioner?
This DIY detangler spray is different than conditioner. Conditioner is washed out in the bath or shower, but this detangler spray can be used on dry or wet hair as needed to help with tangles or to smooth out dry or frizzy hair.
What essential oils are good for detangling hair?
There are many essential oils that will work well in a hair detangling spray. My favorites are Lavender, Ylang Ylang, Geranium, Peppermint, Rosemary and Tea Tree and these are all great essential oils for DIY Detangler Spray. You can use a single essential oil in your DIY detangler spray recipe or combine a couple essential oils.
How to Make DIY Detangler Spray with Essential Oils
Start by gathering what you need for this DIY Detangler Spray:
- Amber Glass Spray Bottle – this recipe is for a 2 oz. spray bottle. Adjust accordingly depending on the amount you wish to make/size of your container
- Small Funnel
- Measuring Spoons
Using a small funnel, pour the Jojoba Oil into a small amber glass bottle. If planning to use essential oils, it is recommended to use glass as the essential oils can erode plastic over time. Dark glass is best as the sun can affect the efficacy of the oils.
Place the cap back on and shake well until the liquid is combined.
Spray as needed onto wet or dry hair and use a comb or brush to detangle hair. Always brush or comb hair starting at the bottom of the hair, working your way up.
Shake the bottle before each use as the oils and water will separate.
My Favorite Essential Oils for DIY Detangler Spray:
- Lavender – helps with hair growth and thickening, calm and sweet floral aroma
- Ylang Ylang – improves texture and reduces breakage, floral aroma
- Peppermint – helps with dry and itchy scalps, refreshing and bright scent
- Tea Tree – natural conditioner and can help with dandruff. Pairs well with Peppermint or Rosemary
- Rosemary – stimulates hair growth and prevents dry scalp. Herbaceous, citrus-y scent
- Geranium – one of my all-time faves. Strengthens hair and helps regulate oils. Floral, fresh and sweet.
Pin it for later!
Check out these other Natural DIY Recipes!
If you try this DIY recipe and love it, I would love to know! Come back and leave a review! Tag me on Instagram @oursimplegraces
- 1 tsp Jojoba Oil
- 5 drops Vitamin E Oil
- Filtered Water
- 10-15 drops Essential Oils (optional, but highly recommend!)
- 2 Oz. Fine Mist Amber Glass Spray Bottle
- Small Funnel
- Measuring Spoons
- Using a small funnel, pour the Jojoba Oil into a small amber glass bottle.
- Pour 5 drops of Vitamin E Oil and then top the bottle off with filtered water.
- Add 10-15 drops of essential oils into the bottle. My favorite combinations are Ylang Ylang with Lavender, Tea Tree with Peppermint, or Geranium. See notes above on different essential oil options.
- Place the cap back on and shake well until the liquid is combined.
- Spray as needed onto wet or dry hair and use a comb or brush to detangle hair. Always brush or comb hair starting at the bottom of the hair, working your way up.
- Shake the bottle before each use as the oils and water will separate.
* If planning to use essential oils, it is recommended to use glass as the essential oils can erode plastic over time. Dark glass is best as the sun can affect the efficacy of the oils.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
2 oz Frosted Amber Glass Boston Round Black Fine Mist Spray Bottle + Funnel (4)
PURA D'OR Organic Vitamin E Oil (4oz / 118mL) 70,000 IU 100% Pure Natural USDA Organic For Skin Face Hexane Free w/Sweet Almond, Apricot, Jojoba, Argan, Rosehip, Sunflower & Avocado Oil For Bath Body
Desert Essence Jojoba Oil - 4 Fl Ounce - Moisturizer for Face, Skin, Hair - Cleanses Clogged Pores - May Prevent Scalp Flakiness - Fights Skin Infections - USDA - Suitable for Sensitive Skin